We Animals Media is looking for an experienced and motivated Communications Manager.
Created by award-winning photographer Jo-Anne McArthur, We Animals Media is an international non-profit media agency dedicated to documenting the lives of animals used for food, fashion, entertainment, work, religion, and experimentation – and telling stories of progress and change.
Previously We Animals, an independent project, We Animals Media is now positioned to expand into a global agency.
Our agency seeks to ensure animals stories are illuminated in the public conscience using compelling photography, journalism, and filmmaking, and through journalistic collaborations with large media outlets, talented and celebrated journalists, filmmakers, and photographers.
The Communications Manager will develop and oversee the rollout of a communications and public relations strategy to broaden the reach of our work, and support the production of a significant volume of content in the next twelve months, overseeing tone, and quality. You’ll be working with a small, talented, dynamic, and committed team. You must be self-motivated as the position is remote with occasional opportunities to be together as a team.
- Develop and oversee the roll out of an organization-wide communication and public relations strategy, alongside the support of the Founder
- Conduct all media outreach and develop and maintain relationships with journalists, editors, and media outlets
- Work with staff and contractors on story development and messaging, maintain a broad knowledge base of We Animals Media content and regularly identify story opportunities and angles
- Work alongside the Director of Operations to coordinate projects with numerous external content creators
- Content drafting, including articles, web content, press releases, and media pitches
- Coordinate Unbound Project writers and manage interviews and deadlines
- Directly oversee the Social Media Manager position, working on style, tone, and strategy on all social media platforms
- Work alongside Fundraising staff on style, tone, and strategy in fundraising materials
- Support the development and ongoing monitoring, measurement, and evaluation of our work
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
- Experience conducting media outreach and managing relationships with media
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategy
- Attention to detail and strong digital content creation skills and instincts
- Experience working in PR/communications with agencies, non-profits or for-profit organizations
- Strong team management skills
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work on multiple projects at the same time
- Ability to effectively work remotely with occasional travel
- Familiarity with and interest in the animal advocacy movement around the world
- Experience with project management processes and programs such as Asana an asset
- Belief in the We Animals Media mission and values
- Ability to adapt to a small and growing organization. Candidates should be comfortable working in a ‘start-up’ environment
- A sense of humour and a positive attitude!
- This is a remote position, however candidates in Toronto, Canada are preferred
- This position is a one-year contract with the possibility of an extension. Ideally this is a full time, 30-40 hours per week role, but can be flexible for the right candidate.
- This is a remote position, with occasional travel for conferences and team retreats. Candidates must supply their own laptop.
- Salary range: $58,000 – $62,000 CDN full-time, commensurate with experience
- We offer a flexible working schedule and time-off, and numerous opportunities for professional growth and development
If you believe you meet some but not all of these qualifications and think you could take on this role, we would still love to hear from you.
The deadline to apply for this position is August 19th, 2019. Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line: Application: Communications Manager_Your Name.